Hello Again Friends!
Sorry for the long pause between posts. Time gets away from me sometimes and I often forget about updating!
So since my last blog we celebrated Mid-Winter on June 21st. This day marked the point where we have completed 3 months of darkness and have just 3 more until the sun returns. To celebrate we had a wonderful dinner and also a “mid winter festival” with games, music and an auction.
Since I am the materials person for the kitchen I was in charge of getting all the food from the dome that the cooks requested for the meal, and making sure it was thawed in time for the dinner. (to see how I do this read the previous post!) I was also in charge of re-arranging and decorating the dining room so that it was a little more festive. Our 3 cooks did a wonderful job preparing a delicious feast, and I even got to help with some of the prep work. We also had wonderful fresh salads with freshies from the greenhouse thanks to our greenhouse tech “Greenhouse Joe”! It’s a pretty exciting event because people get all dressed up and even shower! Which is a pretty big deal considering we only get two, 2 minutes showers a week. Some of the photos below (taken by Cully one of the NOAA guys and Ella our doctor) are from the celebratory dinner
Sorry for the long pause between posts. Time gets away from me sometimes and I often forget about updating!
So since my last blog we celebrated Mid-Winter on June 21st. This day marked the point where we have completed 3 months of darkness and have just 3 more until the sun returns. To celebrate we had a wonderful dinner and also a “mid winter festival” with games, music and an auction.
Since I am the materials person for the kitchen I was in charge of getting all the food from the dome that the cooks requested for the meal, and making sure it was thawed in time for the dinner. (to see how I do this read the previous post!) I was also in charge of re-arranging and decorating the dining room so that it was a little more festive. Our 3 cooks did a wonderful job preparing a delicious feast, and I even got to help with some of the prep work. We also had wonderful fresh salads with freshies from the greenhouse thanks to our greenhouse tech “Greenhouse Joe”! It’s a pretty exciting event because people get all dressed up and even shower! Which is a pretty big deal considering we only get two, 2 minutes showers a week. Some of the photos below (taken by Cully one of the NOAA guys and Ella our doctor) are from the celebratory dinner
Myself and Damien (who works in Materials) after the dinner
Michele, one of our fabouls chefs preparing the salad!
The table all set up thanks to my wonderful decorating skills (i had lots of help setting up too!)
People realxing in the lougne before dinner states.The day after the dinner we had the festival. There was mini-golf, tarot card readings, ring toss, an auction, beer tasting, and live music! As I was the mini-golf champion I won a gift certificate to a restaurant back in New Zealand. The auction was lots of fun and provided many good laughs. Some of the items up for bid were: a bag of cool ranch Doritos, a snickers candy bar, various other candy, a homemade wood flute, and the offer to take over one’s dish duty day. To give you an idea what we all miss and crave from home….the snickers bar went for 10$ and the Doritos for 66$.
Following the auction was the live music. Myself and 3 of the other women on station (Michele the sous chef, Emily one of the materials people, and Krissie works with the meteorology folks) formed a group and called ourselves “the polecats”. We sang 2 songs to start off the live music and we were followed by two other bands that were formed by various other members of the community.
Following the auction was the live music. Myself and 3 of the other women on station (Michele the sous chef, Emily one of the materials people, and Krissie works with the meteorology folks) formed a group and called ourselves “the polecats”. We sang 2 songs to start off the live music and we were followed by two other bands that were formed by various other members of the community.
The PoleCats: Michelle, Me, Krissie, Emily

3 comments:
and we are to feel sorry for you down there? 4 get it, we are all following you and cant wait for you to come back into the real world. that day is coming fast. unlike you i have to go to work now so ill email you later. go back to sleep while you can. the real people on SUMMER street
you didn't tell me about the Obama letter. jealous!!! love #1
I love it that you are making music at the South Pole. That midwinter greeting picture is so beautiful-so other-worldly. Why are you not wearing the issued Big Red jacket? What kind of rule breaker are you?
Post a Comment