Wednesday, August 26, 2009

winterover photos

Hi Friends!
So in the main hallway in the station there is a photo of each of the crews to have wintered at the South Pole. In an effort to keep this tradition alive we have been trying to take a number of group photos outside in various locations. The 1st photo is taken by the corner of the station with the Milky Way in the sky. Because it is still quite dark outside each of the photos are taken with a varying length of exposure...meaning we all have to sit very still for the length of the exposure. this is easier said then done when its -80 with a 20knot wind. (in this photo i am in the front behind the "90" sign with a green fleece on)

This 2nd photo was taken on the "observation deck". we took this photo right before the start of one of our bi-weekly town hall meetings. There happened to be an aurora in the sky so we wanted to get that in the background of the photo. Because this was a last minute decision and we were only going out onto the deck i decided to just put on my fleece jacket and a hat. This was not the smartest decision as I only had on jeans, a t-shit, my fleece and a pair crocs with no socks, SO I was rather cold by the end of the photo shoot! But it was well worth it because i think the photo turned out pretty good...what is nice about this one is you are actually able to make out our faces!
(in this photo I am one row back crouching down toward the middle/right side...again in my green fleece)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the one on the deck! It looks so cool and its nice to see your face #3!!!

Unknown said...

P & P.....P & P... Party and Pictures all the time do you ever work? I'm sorry this is a late posting but unlike some people I have to work. On count down to Wednesday. Dad will keep you posted. Don't look for anything from the other half as she doesn't do email. Don't come home with the swine flu. Leave the pig down there for the next crew they like to party too. LoL B.

Anonymous said...

WHAT AN AMAZING ADVENTURE!!! I believe Robert hit the nail on the head reminding you of the 'world is here upon your return.'

I'll also share a quote from my 99 yr. old nana ... "make your memories while you are young so when you get old, like me, you will have something to remember and smile about!" She too is an amazing lady.

I'm Cynthia, my daughter, is a Juliana, is a student of your mothers. I just emailed her to tell her we watched a show about the Antarctic. As unbelievable as the show was to watch, I cannot begin to imagine it's beauty for real!

Will you stay long enough to see the sun!!!!!????