Thursday, November 5, 2009

in McMurdo

Hello Friends.
Yesterday afternoon I said goodbye to South Pole. This was a bittersweet moment for me. The winter is over, and I have been on the ice for over a year now and am ready to head home, but I love the South Pole and I was sad to actually get on that plane and leave.

Luckily I had a bunch of fellow polie winterovers with me on the plane and we have stuck together as we brave the HUGE dining room at McMurdo and the strange things we've run into like above zero temperatures and DIRT!

Our plane ride from pole was an eventful one. Towards the end it got very very bumpy and many people were getting motion sick...which did not make for a fun ride. If we had been in that plane another 10 minutes or so i think I would have been sick too. not fun. I am not sure if it was the weather or not. I think it was the pilots playing a cruel joke on a bunch of polies. I mean, this was the 1st moving thing we had all really been in since January. It was a shcok to all of our systems.

So my time in McMurdo has not been too exciting. I took a very long shower, caught up with a friend from last season and have spent the rest of the time trying to re-adjust to having lots of people around me. It looks like I will leave for New Zealand late this afternoon and if all goes well I will be enjoying the much warmer climate late tonight!

1 comment:

Christine Provencher said...

One heck of a journey. I've stayed on this since the beginning. You're something else for sure. :) Glad all went well. Christine