Today (well last night really) I finally received the packages that my parents sent to me! This was a welcome surprise at about 2am when a friend came to find me in the "dish pit" (where we DA's spend most of our time) to tell me that i had 3 packages waiting for me downstairs! This was very exciting even though i knew what was in said packages, its always fun to get mail! The hard part was carrying all the boxes back out to my jamesway room when i got off work at about 8am. The relatively short walk from the station to the jamesways has gotten pretty easy now that i am mostly adjusted to the altitude, but today the wind has been blowing so hard that it made the walk very challenging. Returning to the station later will be even more challenging as i will be walking AGAINST the wind.
The temperature here had warmed up to around -25F the other day, but today with the wind blowing its down to about -63F again. I really only ever feel cold when the wind blows like it had been. It has started to rattle the canvas that makes up my jamesway...i think if the wind gets any stronger it might blow me away. It is fun to watch the snow blow around across the ground and to see the many footprints disappear.
Work has been pretty good for the most part. Its really quiet on the night shift, so I usually turn my music up in the dish pit and sing to myself while I am working. Sometimes a person will stop by and chat for a few minutes, otherwise it stays pretty calm unless its midnight and people are eating. Thanksgiving will be pretty crazy here i think..there are 3 different seating time for people so that everyone can get a chance to enjoy the meal, and everyone else from the community helps out with pie baking, and dishes, and getting decorations put up. I am lucky and will get 2 days off in a row at thanksgiving because there will be no midnight meal that day. Most of the kitchen staff do not have this luxury.
Water and energy conservation are HUGE here at the south pole. As a rule you are only allowed to take 2, two minute showers per week. or i should say MOST people only get 2 showers a week. I am one of 16 people that get to shower every other day. Since i work in the kitchen they let us shower more frequently because they want people who deal with the food to be clean! I certainly don't mind this, sometimes a warm shower (even if its only 2 minutes long) feels super nice when its cold and windy outside!
That is all the updates for now! more soon!
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Will they have cranberry sauce from a can on thanksgiving or should I overnight that?
will they have witty family banter on thanksgiving or should I overnight that?
how about we ship you two maine sisters to the ice tundra down under. we CAN overnight that. And dont forget smalley, the goose, and cricket. Cricket in a parka? LOL.
Look, if we are trying to include the whole family, we really can't forget the bees. As soon as I am done knitting their little jackets we will be on our way.
The wind is blowing here too. and the temperature is +30 but feels like +29. Enjoy your self as I left the leaves in back for you to rake when you get home.
Hi Erin. May be the plane you flew in was a C-17 Globemaster III. I think it is the largest cargo plane in the world. The USAF
tested the plane for Antarctic drops 2 years ago. A 70,000 food supply drop to the South Pole Amundsen-Scott station proved it's capability.
Favorite uncle,
Tim
Wow you shower every other day! that must be a record for the most showers Erin has ever taken in a week! ;) Hahaha juuuust kidding.
Annnd if we are gonna overnight anything I think that penguins need to be the new invasive species in Alabama! :)
Miss you Rin!
P.S. I'm slightly jealous that I have not gotten a phone call from the bottom of the earth yet! :)
Post a Comment