Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thanksgiving and other things

Hello!

So Thanksgiving was celebrated here at Pole on the Saturday following the actual Thanksgiving Day. There are currently about 245 people on station, and the galley can not fit everyone at the same time, so for the big meal there were 3 seating times. I was one of the lucky few from the kitchen staff that did not have to work that night so I was really able to just enjoy eating and hanging out with new friends. The tables in the galley were covered with nice white table clothes, and candles were put out. It is one of 2 times that open flames (aka candles) are allowed on station...the next time will the Christmas Dinner. Fire danger is so high here that its a big deal to even have small table candles lit. Before each seating started there were appetizers and music (provide by one of the bands that have formed) in the hallway of the main station. Some people got all nice and dressed up for the meal, others wore their normal clothes, and some came in costume. The food was amazing, we had all of the typical thanksgiving items...but I think my favorite part was the fresh greens from the salad! It we are lucky we get fresh fruit and vegetables (we call them freshies) about once a week, but they always seem to vanish very quickly. After the final seating was over all the tables in the galley were moved out of the way and the music was turned up so that there could be dancing and just hanging out in general. Eventually people retired to their own rooms, or some of us moved out to the summer camp lounge and hung out until going to bed. All in all it was a great night. I think i enjoyed it so much because I really feel at home here with the people and my surroundings, and it was a fun way to spend thanksgiving and reflect on what i was thankful for this year.

Tonight will be the last night that i have to work the midrat meal! I am excited to change shifts and get to work with different people, and also to have my nights free. most of the cool lectures and events happen at night so I have not been able to attend most of them, so I am looking forward to that. I normally would have had a day off yesterday, but in preparation for switching back to working days i have all day Sunday off, and get to start 2 hours later than I normally would on Monday morning. Hopefully transiting from working nights to days will not cause me to loose too much sleep!

Many of my friends were excited last night because more package mail arrived! Packages to not come all that often, so its a big deal when you get something and most everyone else on station is jealous. One of my friends received about 8 packages last night and was the envy of pretty much everybody!

That is about all for now. I am hopefully going to be able to go camping for a night a little ways away from the station...but the trips are limited to a small number of people so keep your fingers crossed that i get on one of them!

3 comments:

Elyse said...

I guess you didnt get the cranberry sauce...

Anonymous said...

What do you do for exercise besides chase penguins. we need pictures of stuff. do you call home or does the voice go into space because you are up side down? i have to know because it may come up as i chit chat.R & F

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Erin!!! We miss you. Have a safe holiday OK?